Join us at the Santa Barbara Fermentation Festival! We will be pouring in the Farm to Bar Area
12pm-4:30pm: 21+ Farm-to-Bar Area
The 6th annual Santa Barbara Fermentation Festival will showcase local and regional experts on the history, benefits and preparation of fermented foods.
The festival includes samples of 75+ artisan fermented foods from 50+ exhibitors, four stages featuring local and regional experts, and interactive hands-on activities. This all-ages experiential one-day festival celebrates the importance of traditionally fermented foods and beverages and empowers attendees to make these foods at home.
Founded by mother and daughter team Lynn Hartman and Katie Hershfelt, the festival aims to revitalize traditional food preparation and promote local food and farming. Hartman and Hershfelt share a common vision: “We want attendees to feel empowered to nurture the immune system that nature gave us. Beneficial bacteria from fermented foods grown in healthy soil is an easy way to do this. Our festival is part of a larger grass-roots movement that is changing the way we view our food, our connection to the earth and our ability to thrive.”
FERMENTATION FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS
- “Nurture what Nature Gave You” Theme featuring fermentation, science and health care industry professionals on how fermentation directly impacts health.
- Fermentation Station, where attendees can participate in hands-on demonstrations that show how easy it is to make traditionally fermented foods such as citrusy water kefir soda, spicy heirloom tomato salsa, fermented zucchini chips, Four Thieves kraut and onion relish.
- Pickled Pavilion and Culture Corner, where fermentation experts will share the history, benefits and preparation of fermented foods such as Macadamia nut yogurt, pinquito bean miso, papaya salsa, raw chocolate butter pudding and wild soda.
- Dozens of Ferment-centric Exhibitors, featuring 75+ different types of local and regional fermented foods samples, products, and supplies.
- 21+ Farm-to-Bar Area, where attendees can taste traditionally crafted wild ale, cider, mead, jun, shrubs, distilled spirits, fermentation-inspired cocktails, and other creative libations.
- DIY Pickle Station where attendees can customize their own ferment with local, seasonal produce
- Culture Chat featuring one-on-one learning opportunities with fermentation and health experts
- Screamin’ Pickle Contest for amateur home fermenters who want to show off their craft for a chance to win the coveted glass pickle prize and tickets to SBFF 2017 and Wild Brew Fest 2017.
- Bacteria Buddy Passport Program featuring hands-on activities for bacteria farmers ages 4-12 years old.
NEW FOR 2016!
- Special emphasis on the microbiome and glyphosate research and the most recent data from the American Gut Project.
- 2 Panel Discussions on the Pickled Pavilion Stage: Nurture What Nature Gave You... A Conversation Around Microbiome Healthand Healing Our Planet and Ourselves.
- Screening Tent featuring all day screening of Patagonia Provisions and local filmmaker Chris Malloy's Unbroken Ground and the Sandor Katz documentary SandorKraut.
- Expanded Farm-to-Bar Area featuring 25+ exhibitors, Good Lion & Test Pilot cocktail bar, an educational stage and hands-on learning opportunities
- Improved layout - we're stretching across even more of the historic Rancho La Patera & Stow House, a picture-perfect setting with expansive lawns and shady pathways to explore
- Live music - homegrown Santa Barbara musicians Erisy Watt, The Salt Martians, Ocho The Owl, Jackson Gillies and more!